Admiral Smyth's Refractor
When telescopes first became available to amateur astronomers in the middle of the Eighteenth Century they were used primarily to view the Moon and bright planets. Planets were easy to locate, but nobody knew how to find dim nebulae and interesting double stars which were being discovered in increasing numbers. This situation was remedied with the publication of Smyth's A Cycle of Celestial Objects in 1844.
William Henry Smyth, an admiral in the British navy, was of American descent. After his retirement in 1825 Smyth erected an observatory in Bedford, England. The principal instrument was a 5.9" refractor by Tully which was carried on an equatorial mount similar to the ones later used on the 28" refractor at Greenwich and the 100" Hooker telescope.
Smyth carefully recorded his observations with the 5.9" over the next two decades. When it was published, the Celestial Cycle (also known as the Bedford Catalog) was hailed for its completeness, accuracy, and for its delightful style. To this day Smyth's book is quoted by deep-sky writers. The Celestial Cycle was reprinted in 1881, and either edition is a rare prize for the astronomical book collector!
After Smyth's death, the telescope was sold to his friend, John Lee, who built an observatory for it. Its present whereabouts is unknown.